B.S. in Statistics
The major requires at least 31 credit hours (46 with the Addenda requirements), including the requirements listed below.
Core Statistics Courses.
- Statistical Inference. One (1) course from the Statistical Inference list:
- STAT-S 320 Introduction to Statistics
- STAT-S 350 Introduction to Statistical Inference
- Data Modeling and Inference.
- STAT-S 352 Data Modeling and Inference
- Introduction to Statistical Theory.
- STAT-S 420 Introduction to Statistical Theory
- Applied Linear Models. Two (2) courses from the Applied Linear Models list:
- STAT-S 431 Applied Linear Models I
- STAT-S 432 Applied Linear Models II
- Statistical Consulting.
- STAT-X 498 Statistical Consulting
Probability. One (1) course from the Probability list:
- MATH-M 463 Introduction to Probability Theory I
- MATH-S 463 Introduction to Probability Theory II
Statistics Electives. Two (2) courses from the Statistics Electives list:
- STAT-S 425 Nonparametric Theory and Data Analysis
- STAT-S 426 Bayesian Theory and Data Analysis
- STAT-S 437 Categorical Data Analysis
- STAT-S 439 Multilevel Models
- STAT-S 440 Multivariate Data Analysis
- STAT-S 445 Covariance Structure Analysis
- STAT-S 450 Time Series Analysis
- STAT-S 455 Longitudinal Data Analysis
- STAT-S 460 Sampling
- STAT-S 470 Exploratory Data Analysis
- STAT-S 475 Statistical Learning and High-Dimensional Data Analysis
- STAT-S 481 Topics in Applied Statistics
- STAT-S 482 Topics in Mathematical Statistics
Computer Proficiency. One (1) course from the Computer Proficiency list:
- CSCI-A 201 Introduction to Programming I
- MATH-M 371 Elementary Computational Methods
- Calculus I. One (1) course from the Calculus I list:
- MATH-M 211 Calculus I
- MATH-S 211 Honors Calculus I
- Calculus II. One (1) course from the Calculus II list:
- MATH-M 212 Calculus II
- MATH-S 212 Honors Calculus II
- Calculus III. One (1) course from the Calculus III list
- MATH-M 311 Calculus III
- MATH-S 311 Honors Calculus III
- Linear Algebra. One (1) course from the Linear Algebra list:
- MATH-M 301 Linear Algebra and Applications
- MATH-M 303 Linear Algebra for Undergraduates
- MATH-S 303 Honors Course in Linear Algebra
GPA, Minimum Grade, and Other Requirements. Each of the following:
- At least 18 credit hours in the major must be completed in courses taken through the Indiana University Bloomington campus or an IU-administered or IU co-sponsored Overseas Study program.
- At least 18 credit hours in the major must be completed at the 300–499 level.
- Except for the GPA requirement, a grade of C- or higher is required for a course to count toward a requirement in the major.
- A GPA of at least 2.000 for all courses taken in the major—including those where a grade lower than C- is earned—is required.
- Exceptions to major requirements may be made with the approval of the department's Director of Undergraduate Studies, subject to final approval by the College of Arts and Sciences.
* Courses used to fulfill addenda requirements require a grade of C- or higher and do not count toward the Major GPA or Major Hours.
Bachelor of Science requirements
The Bachelor of Science degree requires at least 120 credit hours, to include the following:
- College of Arts and Sciences Credit Hours. At least 100 credit hours must come from College of Arts and Sciences disciplines.
- Upper Division Courses. At least 36 credit hours (of the 120) must be at the 300–499 level.
- College Residency. Following completion of the 60th credit hour toward degree, at least 36 credit hours of College of Arts and Sciences coursework must be completed through the Indiana University Bloomington campus or an IU-administered or IU co-sponsored Overseas Study program.
- College GPA. A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.000 is required for all courses taken at Indiana University.
- CASE Requirements. The following College of Arts and Sciences Education (CASE) requirements must be completed:
- CASE Foundations
- CASE Breadth of Inquiry
- CASE Culture Studies
- Diversity in the United States: Not required
- Global Civilizations and Cultures: Not required
- CASE Critical Approaches: 1 course
- CASE Foreign Language: Proficiency in a single foreign language through the first semester of the second year of college-level coursework
- CASE Intensive Writing: 1 course
- CASE Public Oral Communication: 1 course
- Major. Completion of the major as outlined in the Major Requirements section above.